Friday, October 02, 2009

I have a soup recipe that I have been making a lot around the house, and I thought I would share it as everyone seems to love it

Jim's killer vege potato soup!
2 tbs olive oil
1 clove Garlic
1 Onion
3 good sized Potatoes
4-5 Carrots
3 sticks celery
2 tbs parsley (fine chopped)
2 cans vegetable broth (or Chicken Broth)
1/3 package of Velveeta cheese (optional)
2 chicken breasts (optional)

1. In a large soup pot begin by chopping the onion and garlic (I make it easy and use dried garlic, take 2 tbs of dried chopped garlic with a little water in the microwave to rehydrate). Brown the garlic and onion for a few minutes in 2 tbs of olive oil.
2. add the two cans of stock. (My wife is vegetarian so we use vegetable stock, but chick stock is great too) and start chopping vegetables.
2. Add the vegetables that need the most time first. celery, carrots, and then potatoes. I peel the potatoes, though it is only my preference.
3. Bring the soup to an almost boil and let simmer for at least half an hour. It is basically done cooking when the potatoes get tender.
4. At the end first add the parsley. I don't cook it too much as the parsley finishes the soup somehow. (Someone told me not to cook out the parsley), then add any additions. The soup is great as is, but I love adding a chunk of Velveeta which turns this broth soup into a cheese soup! I also separately par boil a chicken breast and add it to my bowl. But you can add chicken at any point if you want that option.

Additionally, I get a loaf of French bread and cut in half, I add butter and garlic salt, and then mozzarella cheese and throw in to the oven until it is melted. My wife and I also add a Bells Oberon to the meal which makes it perfect.

The recipe above will fill about six bowls of soup. I almost always have to add a little water to make up for cooking loss. Don't be afraid to mix it up and throw other stuff into the mix! A few more vegetables and this thing will feed an army. I doubled the recipe last year and had over 10 people over for brunch!

No comments: