Tuesday, January 02, 2007

I am listening to the funeral of President Gerald Ford online and missing the funeral of the father of my friend Mike. The new year rolls in bringing news of the mortal kind.

I remember meeting Gerald Ford twice, well once really, at a community awards ceremony, where I shook his hand, and once, where he walked past me at a flag dedication. This is the only up-close contact I have had with a president. As an aside, it was not so long ago that you could be in the right place and meet a former president. Mostly this is impossible with security being what it is now. Although I guess that if you are involved with Habitat for humanity, you may be able to meet President Carter if you are lucky...

The thing that I am still amazed by, is that just like every newscaster has said this week, Jerry Ford was a normal, regular guy. He was a man that you could speak to , and not feel the awe of celebrity. Unfortunately when able to stumble out a few words to this man, I think I said something like, "nice to meet you, I am a huge fan" or something rather like it.

Still, here is you president Ford, I hope your journey has not ended, and that you have gone to a better place. And here is to you my future reader, hopefully 2007 is a better place to be than 2006, and that we are cursed by living in boring times.

No comments: