Wednesday, January 11, 2012



Professor Taylor

I can't say why I have taken back off with this blog, but I thought about writing two days in a row, so here is number two in two days.

Last night I had a a new experience. I got to teach my first class at Davenport University. And I did it with a nasty ear infection! The stats are as follows: MGMT 214 Sports management fundamentals, 15 students, 13 showing up for the first night. A good mix of students, most in some kind of management or sports management major. three female and twelve guys.

I can say to myself that I was really nervous going in. A ton of thanks to Amy for putting up with me as I tried to vent stress. She knows I turn into a jerky ADD filled ball of jumpiness when I am stressed. I left really early with the idea that I get my bearings at the school and absorb some of the atmosphere.

Turns out that I was not alone as there were about five other adjunct professors in the adjunct lounge. It is kind of cool to share a space to hang out and work if needed. The other adjuncts seem pretty nice so far. I was touched that the college left me a set of dry erase markers in my cool mailbox. I feel a part of this college and though I had not paid a lot of attention to Davenport in the past, I already feel a certain loyalty to the staff and instructors just for extending me the invite to come and join them. they must be the coolest college ever, they found me and asked me to come and be a member! No other college has yet recognised my excellence in this way ;)

So, shaking in my boots, I waited for the door to room 325 to open. Davenport has the locks all programmed, so there is no occupying anything prior to 30 minutes before class. I walked in when I found the door openable, and right behind me walked in Mitch, who is the student I thought I would know. Mitch contacted me before class with questions, so I have hopes that he will excel in the class

Most of the first night is already a blur, I got some sports periodicals and brought them in with me. I took role call and then did the housekeeping stuff: yes you can eat in class, go to the bathroom if you want to. Don't text or take calls, blah blah blah. We did the exhaustive syllabus review and talked about the papers which I will figure out as I go, and talked group project. It will be a lot of work, and a bunch of lecturing on my part. I should be reading the book as we speak!

I ended the class with the students looking at and commenting on the Sports Business journal. It was interesting what each of them picked out and commented on. I can't remember any of it as I was on fumes by that time! We got out at about 8:30pm which is about 20 minutes early. Davenport wants us to go the full time. Let's see how I do in week two!

3 comments:

Christina said...

How exciting!!! Congrats to you on your first class! I'm sure you will do a great job!

JT said...

thanks Christina! I'm psyched that you still check this thing periodically. I have a non blogger for awhile now, thougth I would like to begin again...

JT said...

there should be the word "been" in there somewhere!