Tuesday, January 10, 2012




A Walk in the Woods

We have been experiencing some very non-wintery weather in Michigan this year. Last weekend, the tempteratures hoveredaround 50 degrees, and the birds and wildlife can't figure out if they missed winter and it is spring, or if they should get south beacuse winter is coming. Amy suggested a walk outside for the family, since we have decided to try and encourage each other to get fit this year.

When I suggested a walk at Riverside park, Amy told me about how she thinks that Riverside is really boring with its one wide, straight avenue. I disagree a little, but part of walking for me involves people watching, and Riverside provides interesting sights without too much crowding. But, to find a better solution, I thought about it for a minute...

I remembered seeing a sign for the Howard Christiansen nature center up near Rockford awhile back as I traveled through the area for my job. I decided to set out with the family and see if we could find it.

My memory of the roads traveled a couple of months ago was fuzzy, I thought the sign may have been on 13 mile, and it turns out that the sign is on 17 mile, and the nature center is a bit north of that. Luckily I saw a couple of rural walkers and I don't mind stopping for directions. They told me how to get there, and our family had a bit of adventure cruising around to get to the proper streets..

So once we finally found the driveway, we got out of the car to take a walk. Amy and I were pretty stunned to find this huge and well managed nature center and hiking trails in Northern Kent County. I had no idea this preserve was there. There are literally miles of hiking trails, many trimmed with recent wood chips. We didn't see any deer, but I am not surprized as our platoon is not quiet in sneeking through the woods.

We walked for about two hours and explored woods, swamp areas, and small lakes withing the center, Looks like we found a new option besides Blandford for walking in the woods!

No comments: