Monday, September 25, 2006

The Big move...

As my prior entry spoke of, I got married last year and while preparing for the wedding my wife and I agreed to look at different employment. I was working for Michigan International Speedway (which I mis-spelled in my last post), and felt like I was not contributing to humanity or society.

For some perspective, my wife works in non profit, and has mostly held jobs that were either non-profit, or in the field of helping people. I on the other hand have always worked for national corporations. As our relationship grew, I realized that my wife had a grounded perspective that I had missed since leaving school. As we talked the idea of working for a non-profit began to take root in my mind.

At some point in my job search I found an ad for my present position with. It was perfect, a job that was a new title, but doing similar things that I was used to. My non profit interviewers needed a fundraiser that could work with major corporations and develop sponsorship concepts for companies. This was what my job description essentially was at MIS (The Speedway). So now I am at: (DELETED). New acronym, same type of job. The difference being that I am now able to help a population that is actively marginalised by most of society (without being too PC, how many of you out there have called someone a retard some time in their life...).

So fulfillment has come in the form of bettering society in my own small way, being married to an intelligent beautiful woman, and having a smiley wonderful baby in the house.

To get back to the beginning of my PRIOR post. If we lift up the smallest, we are all greater for it. This is one of the bedrock basis of my beliefs. I feel that America has become one large nation of people scared of the bogeyman, and hiding under the umbrella of their own fears magnified by the convenient cause of TERRORISM. We no longer lift anything up, rather we cover our own arses, hoping that we are not involved in the "next incident".

I think that If you follow some of the good reverend Frederick Woodens latest blogs, you see the opinion that our brothers in the mid-east are not the easy devils that we make them out to be, but rather they are more like us than we are comfortable seeing. And if we come out from under the umbrella of fear, we might see that there are always reasons for old hatred and conflict, and that it is time to get to know them.

I challenge myself and all that stumble across these words to adopt an old Special Olympics Catch-phrase and "Inspire Greatness". Lift up those that are small, that we may all be great.

Peace.

No comments: