Thursday, September 28, 2006

Quod incepimus conficiemus.
I admire the folks out there blogging away.

Most of the blogs I see are either very well written and thought out reflections or what everyone sees, the myspace "hey I got laid yesterday", or the "hey world I am so depressed that I got dumped, but I don't need a man" blogs.
It is funny the capability that humans have of either being profound or profane. In the end I think this is humanity shouting to the heavens "hey everyone, this is me!" You can be the idealized version of yourself online, either the thoughtful intellect, or the nineteen year old party girl. I must confess, that I am much more scattered in mind, than might show here. I am a multitasker, as I sit here and type this, I am also thinking of verbage to put into a proposal to a company on behalf of my employer. Though thinking about my other blogs so far, you may very well see the scatterbrained person that is inside me!

It is hard to do this, everytime I write I come up with errant thoughts that I wish to explore, but unless I sit and do this, they will never see the light of day...

Let's go to politics... Granholm vs. DeVos, I am voting for Jennifer this fall, but I think that many who support DeVos have good points. He knows how to run a business, though my wife points out that the State of Michigan is it's people and business has turned to some extent away from being about its people and toward profit at any costs. I think that the republican point of view is that government should not interfere with the peoples lives more than necessary. This to me is their best argument. I agree that the government should stay as much as possible out of my life and pocketbook. But what about my bad behaviors? If there were no government representatives on the highway, would I speed much more than I might already? Would I poop in my neighbors well just because it is a convenient spot? Would my company spill terrible chemicals into the ground, because I could get a better return if I did not have to pay to get rid of toxins?

I think that we all live under a set of agreed behaviors, this is what we call civilization. The role of the government is to see that the rules are fair to all, and that all abide by the agreements made. Here is where government differs from business. Business, by its very nature is competitive. Driven to out-perform its competitors, business looks at everything within the framework of profit. Business will not employ a single person unless they contribute what is needed to make the desired profit. So by its nature business is not about it's people.

The best response to this is that people should not work for a company that treats them worse than average. But the problem, is that due to circumstances, people must endure jobs that are worse than average, in many cases far worse.

Government is supposed to be fair to all people. Business by its nature is seldom fair, so by this line of reason, we should be careful when electing a business person to office. This, of course, is only one line of thinking and the world is seldom so simple. But things can be reduced from large to small to help digest the issues.

I would not elect Dick Devos, simply because his wife has a history of super-conservatism with the republican party. I have noticed that Betsy DeVos has barely been mentioned in this campaign. Mostly I think because the mention of her name enflames the national democratic organizers so much, that it is better to keep her in the background.

As an aside, on the role of vouchers in the school system. I think that even if someone takes their children out of the public school system, everyone should contribute to the public system, as this is the only way to be fair. A private school education may give an advantage to its users, but this should be an additional expense to its users. The private schools are private for a reason, and do not benefit from the oversight of the public schools. By this measure, vouchers are unfair to the public as a whole, and therefore should not be a government program. (steps off his soapbox). To me this is an indication that the DeVos family would be likely to support legislation that gives an advantage to people similar to them...

Wow, I am getting out there and public with some private thoughts. I welcome your comments on my thoughts, and hope that a few people are reading... Let me know if you are checking this blog out!

No comments: