Thursday, December 06, 2007

OK I take it back...

As is mostly the case, after bad mouthing the music industry, my friendly postal carrier shows up with a package from ripoff music service last night. And in the normal twisting of irony I received a CD which I had ordered on a whim without much thought, AND IT IS GREAT.

Here is my recommendation: Stephen Marley: Mind Control.

Go get it now, you can read the rest of my silly blog later...

On this album, Stephen Marley is channelling the spirit of Bob Marley. I seriously thought that I had missed a Bob Marley track somewhere when the opening track came on my speakers. With the exception of an updated bass sound, the first track, Mind Control, sounds like a lost Bob Marley song. From the stabbing horns, to the Hammond Organ and wah guitars, this song calls out 1973, not 2008. It's mind control, destruction of your soul- lyrics channeled by a son who was 9 years old when his legendary father passed away.

While many of the current crop of reggae musicians draw much from the dancehall and rap traditions, Stephen keeps to a more classic reggae tradition on this album. The songs vary from soul dripping balladry, to fun silly rapping and goofing off that characterised Bob Marley's recording aesthetic. When I listen to this album, I feel like things are a little simpler, and if we all slow down a little, we might all benefit from taking a breath and saying I love ya girl. -Peace.

1 comment:

Em said...

The entire Marley family has it going on.

For another great one (and I concur...this Stephen gem is a must-have, I just downloaded it a few months ago), check out Damian Marley's disc "Welcome to Jamrock". It's not as good as Stephen's Mind Control, but it's still got that Bob flavor that I miss so much.