Thursday, December 13, 2007

Weighing in on politics again

I have been reading some good articles, and I have to say, the Republicans are showing signs that I would not have expected four years ago. Like all of you, I am sick of the polarization of this country. If I can't have a civil conversation with my neighbor simply because we do not share a political affiliation, this country has more problems than anyone wants to admit.

I do like the fact that Mitt Romney made a pretty eloquent speech about how religion should not intrude into a presidential race. I also like the fact that McCain is out there trailing severely in the polls, and still saying what he believes (which in all reality is what probably the majority of Americans believe if you don't react to the rhetoric). As my someone near and dear to me just said, "if someone put a gun to my head and told me to vote republican, I'd choose McCain". Unfortunately, his patriotism and support for the war have crucified him in the polls.

Here is the kicker, McCain is right. Though we got into the war for the wrong reasons, we need to do the whole thing right and remake the country, or we have to slink out with our tails between our legs and let the radicals have their sand pit back. Two shitty choices, and to add to it, if we want a stable middle east, neither choice may be the best. If we "win", we have a mid-east peace that everyone can bitch about because it was engineered by "the great satan", and if we walk away, there might actually be peace, but a peace imposed by dictators and religious extremists. In the second case, how long will it be before we are back in there trying to put down a (at worst case) nuclear armed extremist uprising???

So sorry McCain, you are in the losing seat, even though you seem to be a just and honorable person...

I'm not sure if I can get started on the democrats? The republicans are just waiting to rev up the extremists in America. Either having a female candidate, or a black candidate, gives them all the leverage they need to rev up the redneck misogynistic bigots on the far right. Yup let's return to the days. Before all this equal rights stuff happened, when a white man could be a white man and nobody got to tell him what to do. (I had a different line there, but somehow it would have been found and taken out of context on me when I run for president in 2020.) C'mon people let's move forward. People are people, someone smart should be in charge, and it DOES NOT MATTER if it is a he or she or if they have a great tan. Of course, having said all that I do really wish Edwards had a better shot at this election. (yes I know the only southern white man on the ticket, read the lines above)...

I'm just tired people, stop acting like ignorant children. Let's all agree that the world is difficult and that we should all try and help each other out if needed... Peace

PS, just so you all know, I feel foolish after writing this little rant, but I am a little more at peace. Happy Holidays, I expect to write next week, but as you all know, it could be six months again at any time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.